Sunday, February 3, 2008

Nothing is Certain but Death FROM Taxes.

AAAARRRRRGGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!

Okay.

I e-filed my taxes Wednesday morning. I posted a blog about it right afterwards... I was even a little giddy. It was premature.

Soon after the post, I got an email saying the IRS had rejected my return due to an error, and that I needed to fix it. So, I did just that - I logged back into my account and there was a message saying that there was an internal error, it had already been fixed, and I could re-submit. Okay, no problem.

I got that email no less than ten times on Wednesday. In the meantime, I called H&R Block four times and the IRS four times - of course, they both said it was the other party's problem. On calls number four for each company, we finally figured it out - H&R Block's software was supposed to carry over the boys' SSN to a different area, and it didn't. There was some glitch in the software where it was also supposed to catch that error. Block guy #4 said Ben's number had carried through for both his and Evan's numbers. I told him on my screens I had the numbers correct, he said he could see that too, and I resubmitted. It didn't go through.

Friday morning I got another email saying the SSN's didn't match up with the Social Security Administration's numbers. Like, come on now. I'm staring at the same numbers I've filed with the past FOUR years... I know they're right! I seriously spent 30 minutes max preparing my return, and I've probably spent three hours on the phone now, over the past five days, trying to get this figured out. Right now I'm on hold with Block AGAIN (18 minutes so far), trying to get this figured out.

I seriously could have paper filed and probably gotten this through quicker. Argh. I've e-filed my own taxes the past five years without any problems... I guess it's my turn. Maybe I'll get my refund back by the time I'm 33.

No comments: