Last night, we had dinner at a reasonable hour, got baths, read books, and the boys were asleep in their own room (under mommy's homemade old sheet tent) by 9:00. I WAS supermom.
So, tonight, I've spent the whole evening angry. Ben hasn't had a nap, Lauren is in a mood, my mom is in a mood, and the boys are obnoxious (all three). Lauren chose 11:30 last night to bring up the new kindergarden dilemma - seriously, 11:30. We were two hours into a 2.5 hour movie, we paused to go to the bathroom or something, and he wants to talk school. I told him we'd talk about it today, and when I saw him for nearly the first time today at 7pm, his idea of the "discussion" was telling me what he had decided and what he was going to do... all this WITHOUT discussing it with me, or more importantly, Ben.
Here's the dilemma. Don't most schools start in the 7:30 to 8:00 range? There was an article in the paper about IPS the other day, and how the schools aren't starting this year until 9:30. My problem, as many other parents', is that I am expected to be at work at 8 am. My boss knows my situation and has been gracious enough to offer to work with me, but something tells me that my coming in between 10 and 10:30 every morning isn't his idea of flexible. Now, Lauren is self employed, and if any of you know him, he's usually around the house most of the day. He doesn't even finish reading the paper until probably 10 or so... so why couldn't he take Ben to school? Doesn't that sound logical to everyone else? His question (statement) last night was "What are you going to do about Ben? Quit your job?" Um, hello, no. There is a church next to the school that is going to do after school care, and we have discussed that already since I won't be back in Irvington until around 6 every night. So, in lieu of a conversation, he told me today that tomorrow he's going to the school to un-enroll Ben.
This infuriated me. I can't even begin to tell you how excited Ben is about school. He's excited that he's going at all, but also because it's two blocks away and he's familiar with the school and the neighborhood. And the coffee shop next door, which he thinks he'll be able to go to on recess. This is all he's talked about for the last year. You can't just tell him you're un-enrolling him because you're angry with the situation. There was no discussion, no asking our opinions, just knee-jerk reacting, at which he is an expert.
I know that once Lauren cools down, probably tomorrow, we'll get this figured out like a normal, calm, rational couple. I just wish we didn't have to go through the crap to get to it... every time.
Sorry, I just needed to vent.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
The lovely wife is feeling superbad today. Maybe you two can cry on each others shoulders later.
Personally, I don't think either of you are superbad, but I'm only a man, so what do I know!
Um, Lauren can't take Ben to school because why? Why is this solely your responsibility? Taking Ben out of school even before he's begun makes no sense to me. Stand your ground!!
Post a Comment