Saturday, July 19, 2008

Rite of Passage

Greetings from Chicago! It's been a wild 24 hours. Okay, well, wild by mom standards.

There are a few things that I kind of consider a rite of passage for a parent: pregnancy/labor/childbirth, first birthday, kindergarten (still not ready), dealing with the embarassing details your child leaks to the neighbors, and uncontrollable vomiting outside of the home.

The boys and I got home last night around 7, knowing that we had to do a week's worth of laundry, pack, and get ready to leave early this morning. I was up until 1:00 this morning doing laundry, and up again at 5:30 to shower and pull stuff out of the dryer. We got out the door by 7 (the goal was 6:30), and the boys were exhausted, of course. So, we're about 45 minutes into our trip and Evan doesn't look so good. He was tired, which I expected, but his face was flushed and he was looking really uncomfortable. I thought maybe it was because we were in the car and he didn't have any food in his stomach, so we stopped for some breakfast. He drank some water and ate a hash brown... and up it all came. We stopped four times in an hour to clean him up, then he finally went back to sleep. Like, we were two hours into the trip; what were we supposed to do? He slept for an hour and a half, and now he's totally back to his normal self. You'd never know he was sick. It was odd.

So, now Lauren is working some hip hop concert (yeah, Lauren) and we're laying low in the hotel for a while. We got checked in and gave Evan a bath. I didn't know what we were going to do today... now I'm thinking we're going to take naps and make sure everyone is feeling okay for a while. There are a few strip malls around here, but we don't really need anything. Who knows. Right now, Spongebob is holding us over. We still have seven hours left, of course. I'm a little leary of taking Evan to the pool.

Lauren called, and apparently all these famous artists are walking by and all the vendors are all excited and waving and getting autographs. He has no idea who any of them are.

I hope it gets better from here!!

1 comment:

Megan said...

IKEA IKEA IKEA IKEA!!! Seriously what else is there to do in Chicago? :) Have fun!