Wednesday, June 11, 2008

reduce-reuse-recycle

One thing I love about Lauren is that he is committed to being earth friendly. Even when I first met him, before we ever heard the term 'carbon footprint' or labeling everything 'green'... he's been into recycling... probably since I was in high school. He's very good about finding ways to reuse things we buy (plastic bins, newspaper, etc.) and if we can't use it, we'll recycle it.



One thing we've agreed on is that buying pre-owned products is another way to recycle (or reuse). We're big on craiglist.com, goodwill and ebay. We have an old playground set that we bought from a farm in Indiana somewhere - it's a little faded, but the slide is still fun for the boys. We use coffee grounds and eggshells to nourish the flowers, we have a little natural (weed) patch in the backyard to keep things natural, and we're big on borrowing from the library instead of buying. I'm all about canvas bags and walking wherever we can.



So, with that being said, I think I'm a little addicted to ebay. I've got this good job now, and y'all know I'm more of a jeans and t-shirt girl than I am a panty hose and skirt kinda girl. The last few years I've mostly had jobs where I can get by with jeans, sneakers and even flip flops. So now I'm in a place where there is no casual Friday... and we can't have "sockless feet." I hated that women were wearing hose under their summer shoes... open toes with a seam across them (eww). I now own three pairs of those hideous things. It's too hot for socks!

Back to ebay. Because I love cheap and pre-owned, it's become a little addiction. I bid on six shirts tonight for $30 (including shipping). Any of these shirts would have been $30 new, alone. Ebay is a dangerous, dangerous world. I mean, I type in a brand name, a size, and all of a sudden there are hundreds of listings for all kinds of inexpensive things. It's a crazy world.

Hi, my name is Melissa, and I am an ebay addict.

No comments: